🌱 The project
Life expectancy is around 85 in Western countries; However "Healthy Life expectancy" (without disability) is only 65. Our seniors live over 20% of their lives with with bad health and limitations, many of which can be avoided or delayed with the proper guidance and by improving lifestyle and behaviors. We set up the mission to increase people's Healthy Life Expectancy for millions to avoid dependency.
We are building an AI Longevity Coach for seniors to increase their Healthspan from home. In particular, we start with Frailty. Frailty is a silent epidemic that affects over 50% of the senior population. Frailty leads to loss of equilibrium, then a bad falling, then long rehab, reduced muscle, sacorpenia, en finally dependance, with the massive impact to their families and society. Frailty can be reverted with proper evaluation, exercise plans, motivation and monitoring. This has been proven in the offline world with the methodology of world-renowned longevity professor Viña. He has joined our company to create a longevity methodology online. Frailty is our first pillar in our Longevity Plan.
Founder team has decades of combined experience working with seniors, longevity, building and scaling tech products and starting companies. We are building a world-class team, with a small and strong pack of core members with the experience and motivation to make the project to fulfill it's vision and ambition. You will join as one of the first, and will use the opportunity to shape what will come after for you and your fellow peers. We believe in our purpose. We are here for the long run.
We have raised venture capital from some top VCs, and have a few thousand users to get things moving.
We have recently launched our beta version of the product have a few thousand users using the product every day. We have a clear short and mid-term roadmap to help seniors adhere to a healthy lifestyle methodology, and improve their healthspans.
Company milestones so far:
- Founded in 2020. Raised a $500k VC round from top European VCs.
- Launched for Android and iOS with high retention and engagement metrics from beta users.
- Subject matter expert team and experienced technical team.
- World-class Scientific Board and geroscience team. Clinical Trial started to prove the effectiveness of Rosita in improving Frailty. Collaborations signed with scientific institutions for tech research.
- Over 300 hours of first party content and video production with trainers from our own facilities in Valencia.
- Team of over 15 people including full time and part time.
What to expect during 2021:
- Growth starts.
- First country expansion outside of Spain.
- New investments in science and research.
- Validation of business model, with ever increasing product market fit.
- The "Core" team in motion.
We lean towards being verbose and communicating a lot. You can read our culture ideals here:
👋 The role
What you will do
You will start working on our mobile products, with a special focus on the backend code and infrastructure.
You will work directly for the CTO in a small horizontal team. You will contribute to the product and roadmap definition, from OKRs to Epics to Tasks, that build our long term milestones. We are too small and it's too early to be very specific about what exactly we will need in 6 months. We expect you to help us define that. You understand this, and you will thrive in such environment, switching hats when needed and pushing in the area where most needed. But that does not mean it has to be crazy. You will help building the right processes.
Things you will do when you start:
- Learn the stack, explore the current code
- Diagnose and work on bugs, operations and testing while you develop the skills necessary to go deep into the product
- Develop features for our internal management tools, build confidence
- Pair-program with our senior team to start developing features for the user
- Understand the product, talk to customers, propose features and your plan to implement them
- Absorb, learn, listen.
Things you will do as soon as you feel ready:
- Code scalable software that will be used by thousand of seniors and shall be used by millions.
- Advocate best practice software engineering principles within the team.
- Participate in technical decisions.
- Help strategize technical architecture and product roadmap.
- Drive process in an agile environment. Help improve all processes and connection with business.
- Building for seniors is very different from what you may have done before. Guidelines and common tools may not fit perfectly here. You will sometimes have to fight your instincts or experience to put the customer first.
- We solve a hard problem, over building a specific technology. We don't fall in love with technologies. You will need to acquire contextual knowledge.
- Product will evolve, parts of the tech stack come and go, features deleted. Parts of your early code will be let go.
- We are a fully remote company from day one, with its many small benefits and its few big challenges.
Our tech stack
Our current products are built using this stack. We don't expect you know all of these pieces, but we expect you to have or grow opinions about how to evolve it for the better if you join us.
- Mobile Apps: Flutter / Dart to support Android and iOS apps.
- Firebase backend: Firestore, Cloud functions and other mobile-oriented services.
- AWS, Google Cloud, Agora for storage and video media delivery.
- Segment, Amplitude, BigQuery and related tools for data analysis.
- Experience building backend systems and APIs, specially to be consumed by mobile Apps.
- You are good with Math and Statistics. If you play games, you know how to optimize your equipment to hit harder. If you like the NBA, you devore the advanced statistics. Tell us what Math means to you.
- You enjoy writing clean, elegant, performant code. If you don't know how to do it yet, you have passion to learn how to do it.
- You understand why best practices and agile practices are important. You have foundations on collaborative software development: git workflows, kanban, code reviews, pair programming, etc. You have strong problem-solving and planning skills. You understand what being accountable means.
- You can operate autonomously, although we understand software as a social endeavour and you will not work alone.
- It itches you when something does not work. You rub the itching but it won't go away until you find a more elegant solution that works.
- You are open minded, resilient, optimist and exercise a positive attitude.
- You adhere naturally to our values.Our culture
- Strong communication skills with good English.
We believe in attitude over aptitude. If you don't check many of the items above, but feel you could be a great fit, we encourage you to consider applying. Make sure to explain why.
Bonus tracks, not required but more a random list of things that will make your application shine:
- Experience in Machine Learning techniques / NLP / Data Science. Or you are really interested in learning.
- You are a software polyglot.
- You have played with the lower layers of mobile. You built and SDK or you like to tinker with sensors.
- You are used to playing with many things: DevOps, cloud services, APIs, data pipelines, dealing with third party APIs and connect things.
- You contribute to Open Source. Share examples.
- You have own or pet projects. Share examples.
👉 What's in it for you
- Working on healthy ageing is one of the most rewarding and fascinating fields of the moment.
- Company committed to building the best version of itself possible: culture, processes, personal growth, team collaboration, transparency, working environment.
- Ability to define the future of the company at every level
- High accountability environment, with very few yet high caliber people who will do many things, so a lot to learn.
- We trust you.
- Remote work anywhere you like, or work with our team in Madrid or Valencia
- We promise transparency and treating you like an adult.
- Package that rewards commitment to self improvement, proficiency and humanity.
- Fun retreats at the inner forests of Valencia. Our home setting is at Balneario de Cofrentes.
- Salary from up to €30k, depending on skills and the awesomeness you can bring to the team
- Flexibility with your life. We are open to Full Time, Part Time, Freelance, etc. We just want to work with the right people.
- We understand and respect personal life.
- Solid memes.
- We aim to work fewer hours. No meetings on Fridays.
- We understand introverts.
What to expect
- A seasoned C-team. A CEO who will get his hands dirty. A CTO who cares more about product, people and process than technology. A CCO with tons of experience delivering longevity services to seniors.
- Subject matter experts in the field of longevity. You will learn a lot about it.
- No dramas, no politics and no internal secrets. We will speak to you the way we speak in this job description.
- We are a product company. Product product product. Not tech. Not marketing. Expect to wear the product hat quite a bit.
- Expect accountability. No hiding. No excuses. We do what we promise.
- Expect that we will take our culture very seriously. Read it carefully.
- Building fast also accumulates some technical debt. Expect that we acknowledge that. Expect we care to fix it. When? When we have sufficient product Market Fit or growth that makes the business case for the debt worth fixing. Not earlier. Not later. Not because refactoring is fun.
- Expect random peaks of work. But out of peak we will not make up random tasks just to extract more work from people. Go to the park. Read fiction. Travel.
- Expect that we expect you to make the company better. We will listen. And act.
- Expect to change roles or to get your hands dirty with unrelated things to your main job description when it is needed.
- Expect to be important from your first day.
- Expect that we will care about your personal and profesional development. The moment we believe we cannot give you the right growth pathway for whatever reason, we will help you find other opportunities outside.
- On your first 30 days you will probably have pushed new features to production, fixed a few bugs and understood what we want to do. You will have started to design some user flows with our designer. You will have helped define an epic. You will have had direct contact with our customers, either by making a few calls from our contact centre, listening to them or interviewing them.
You should not apply if ...
- You prefer to be an expert in just one technology.
- You expect a perfectly defined unalterable Roadmap and a perfectly clear job definition. We're 1% done. Expect uncertainty.
- You would rather not have to talk to customers directly.
- You need more than 12 months runway certainty for your personal safety and finances.
- You like flashy startup parties and offices. We are frugal.
- You like to work in a big team. We don't measure success by size of team. We will need to be pretty overwhelmed before we take on more people.
- You expect to build DeepMind's AI.
- You can't adhere to most of our values.
If you would like to apply, or if you have questions, reach out on firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Job Openings and information here: