This is an open live page of what we have been up to and noteworthy events (mostly for investors, fans and other stakeholders). This page is work in progress, but at some point we will share KPIs and a public Product Roadmap.
- We are settling in our new office! So wonderful to have a space. Will be doing some form of office-warming party soon.
- We are now producing in top quality. Chromas, etc. happening. Expensive cameras (glups!!)
- We are hiring for the Junior Operations Manager. Some CVs are properly overqualified! Would love to have them... let's see.
- Hiring backend dev is hard. the market is really tough, startups are raising big rounds, it is difficult to join an unknown upcoming startup. Need to work on our techy branding
- We got our first paying customer!!!! wow that first dollar makes a difference! 💵
- First 10 customers!! and 2 of them for the premium package! Only need to multiply 10x twice more to become somehow sustainable 😝
- While already started in July, we're now warmly welcoming Alba. Alba is a biotech engineer and she joined us to complete his Masters and work in several top-notch R+D projects and operations.
- We have developed a new Brand that we will be applying to our products soon.
- We have leased a new space for audiovisual production, exciting! Pictures soon 😍
- We have opened new Team opportunities:
- And our latest team member, founder's little one, came merrily to sweeten our meetings 💓
- We are preparing for the summer at several levels: 1. we will close during august most of the live services. It is costly, people are not really there, it's difficult to manage trainers during summer, and our founders are having a baby. So perfect reason to take a little rest from some of our activities.
- We are finalizing our Seed Round. Expecting to have everything sorted out within July. This would be wonderful, because we really need to get to focus on our customers again. Fundraising is very time consuming.
- We have applied to Neotec, an important spanish subsidy. It was very time consuming. Once we have the round under control we will need to think about how much time we can dedicate to these subsidies at opportunity cost level. On the flip side, we got approval from Enisa. Small win. Yei.
- We have reviewed our whole culture. One of the biggest challenges the last few months is that we don´t get to see each other enough, and we are going to change that with more onsite meetings. Also, we are working far too many hours, which was not the spirit of our culture where life matters. This has to do with our limited hands and resources. We are hiring!! Team Openings
- We completed the Google for Startups Health Accelerator, and the EIT Health Bootcamp. Quite a lot of work, good to get a foot into the health ecosystem
- We launched a very large new release which included objectives and challenges, and a full new onboarding process. It had several bugs so we had to dedicate a lot of time solving them.
- We have initiated the planning work of internationalization. We aim to launch in English before the end of November. Mark these words.
- We won the University of Chicago Alumni New Venture Challenge, with a nice little $50k prize. https://polsky.uchicago.edu/2021/05/07/rosita-longevity-wins-alumni-new-venture-challenge-and-50000-to-grow-healthy-lifestyle-app-for-seniors/ This is particularly useful to us as we aim to open US opportunities prior to our launch there
- We were accepted by EIT Health to participate in this bootcamp with another 10 Health related startups across Europe: https://eithealth.eu/news-article/eit-health-bootcamp-selects-11-female-led-start-ups/ We hope their network can help us build opportunities with insurers and health bodies, as well as investors for our Seed Round
- Possibly the biggest feedback we were receiving came from users who did not signup. They were scared about entering their phone number upon signup on Rosita. We used it for authentication because we considered it to be easier than emails for most seniors, but the feedback was very bad and had a big dropoff. So we have changed the whole signup process so people can test the product and only signup when they feel confident about it. Let´s see.
- We are fundraising a Seed Round. If you are an investor or know someone who could be interested in what we do, please reach out firstname.lastname@example.org. Great fit for investors would be:
- Vertical Experience in Health or Seniors
- They understand we need to invest in Science.
- We have not started monetizing yet. That will be the main uncertainty to uncover in the Seed round. We simply decided to build the core product and engagement in the pre-seed round.
1 min video here:
- Chroma keys, green screens... yes, all of that coming to Rosita as we improve our production facilities. Fun. More Live sessions coming to your living room soon.
- We have finally started to invest a little bit in marketing, starting with some FB campaigns
- Technically, we have moved to Flutter 2.0. Sounds boring but this move has removed 70% of our bugs, so users are benefiting from a smoother experience.
- We are working on our Longevity Plan goals features, which should be released shortly. This will show quite clearly the difference between a traditional fitness service and a longevity product
- Our cofounder Clara was awarded Top100Leaders in Spain 😍 (3rd on the 9th Row), which includes politicians, journalists, executives, artists, sports and of course startup founders.
- Small sample size but our Net Promoter Score is 62! :DDD (the traditional approach with 9-10 give you 1 point, and 1-6 deduct 1 point)
- Moved from 0.1.X to 0.2.X. We have added some significant changes to the product that make it worth the change of version. Not quite 1.0.X yet (not sufficiently stable) but getting there. Above all, we are improving the navigation process inside the app, to help seniors find activities more easily that are suited for them.
- A little video to show what is behind the scenes of Rosita. Sometimes people confuse Rosita with just Fitness, and well, they have a point. We have started with physical condition and frailty, but behind Rosita there is a lot more about how to build a longevity strategy. We are just not there yet in terms of product. This video is in Spanish only. We will create an English version soon.
- We released our chatbot, with very good engagement metrics, exciting.
- Our conversion rate has also increased dramatically after we changed the onboarding process. We now have a gorgeous welcome section that is helping people understand the product better
- We have started other Longevity areas after Frailty and condition are becoming BAU. We are starting with sexuality above 65. Working on some new incredible itineraries for seniors.
- We initiated the clinical trial with samples in our facilities. Very very excited about the early data. This will allow us to create our own age biomarkers as well as tests to understand physical condition from home using the mobile phone sensors
- New partnership with IBV to do cool stuff with cameras... more info in the future
- Our cofounder Clara is in the list of candidates for top100 women in Spain. Vote 🤞
- Slow progress with our tech development. We are far behind where we would like to be with the product. The roadmap is long and there are some things we were just hoping we could have shipped by now. Reprioritizing
- Current priorities for tech dev are: Onboarding process, Chatbot, Collaborative classes. Aiming for March for all of them.
- Wow, 2021 starts just like a continuation of 2020
- Clinical trial getting ready for approval with the Ethical Board. Once we have this approved we can start taking samples!
- Preapproval achieved!
- Presented a big project to the Ministry of Demographic Challenges of Spain (as we are one of the only rural region startups). Let´s see how that works out
- Very high retention metrics 30D, over 70% for people who get to our Aha moment.
- Designer onboard, wow, doing some really great designs, and Production Operations onboard. Missing one more Dev Engineer. Remember we have openings!
- Started the work of improvement of funnels. 120% increase in signup process from just a few bits of work. Focus is on Product Market Fit but it feels nice to sometimes fix some low hanging fruit that drives growth
- Started some home-made ASO. There are some apps out there ranking for 20,000 keywords, wow. We only currently rank 4 in the top 50 :S, driving an average of 0 users to the product. Tons of room for improvement.
- iOS delivered!
- We have been having significant problems with Flutter Crashes. Flutter, sadly, is really not ready for a production environment. Documentation is lacking and sometimes just wrong, and Firebase... we will probably get rid of it soon enough. It looks like a tool for hobbyists, it lacks very basic database functionality. Not happy about it. The whole "google stack" has wasted us many hours of work. But hopefully with all that debt paid, we will move faster next month.
- We have made over 500 in-depth customer success calls, learning about how users use the product, what they like, what not. Many cool things you would not expect. We have also confirmed that women are much more engaged than men (beyond analytics data).
- Brought Andrei onboard. Great impact to product and development, starting with our backend
- Customer success team setup, learning from users 2-3 weeks after first use. Many new insights
- Research programs initiated!
- We just announced our existence with this little article on Techcrunch, yei!
- Getting ready for public launch
- We started our sales process to public institutions. We have now spoken to over 300 townhalls.
- Released our first version of itineraries, which will become a fundamental part of our product, our habits engine.
- We have setup some really great Product Cycle process, aiming to have 1.5 month product cycles. With our current funding, we have 6 product cycles. 6 bets and opportunities to get this right.
- Tremendous learnings from Live testing with real people, which is forcing us to change some things in the UI, but most importantly, in the content itself, not just in terms of pace, but in terms of how to educate users and engage with them in actions later. Super valuable.
- We brought in another developer which was fundamental to move the features forward. We were going too slowly. We are still looking for a senior dev! Team Openings
- Better integration of our CRM with our service so we now have a customer success team following up with users and interacting over whatsapp.
- We have some new illustrations for Rosita, much closer to the brand we want to have, where our seniors are independent, strong, they have dreams and objectives.
- Getting ready for public launch next month...
- Upload to Google Play accepted! Private Beta users!
- Micro-seed round completely wired. Now for wise spending of funds.
- TV Producer onboard. Creating quality content 🥳
- Branding decided. What we have right now is mostly a place holder of a brand.
- Round complete. TS signed, contract underway. Oversubscribed (nice word).
- Content manager onboard. Gerontologist onboard. Worldwide renowned Frailty scientist onboard.
- Commercial team onboard, selling! CRM coming together to enable sales.
- Separated Staging from Production. We now have a stable production app!
- Opening process to make our first full-time hires. Check our !Team Openings
- Micro-seed round underway. Very nice couple of weeks. Termsheets negotiated
- Product coming together quite nicely. There are only 2 or 3 "features" we need. The rest will be continuous improvement, so we can start our launch plan.
- Many new content providers onboard.
- We now have a designer! Juan did his best until now, but it is time to move the batton to someone who knows how to do UI properly :)
- Analytics, CI and other security elements on
- Our processes are improving. Solid connection of Long term milestones to Objectivs to Epics to Development Roadmap. If we want to be an Iterative Engine, we need to be fantastic at process.
- We have completed the B4B program
- We participated in the EUvsVirus Hackathon. It was useful as a goal for the month to put together a prototype, and we did! We got to stream an activity from one phone to another, but there are several bugs and this is not ready for prime time
- Gabi joined the development, so we will start to move faster now
- We got commitment for the first 50k of funding! yei, first check is important!
- We have gotten an official legal name now
- Pilot test agreed with village of Cofrentes for 300 seniors to be our control group for testing. This will be important in 18 months when we want statistical proof that we can revert frailty
- We started the conversation with a certain neurologist from Harvard we cannot share publicly. Exciting. Also other content providers in music, sports...
- Agreement with the Valencian Scientist in Longevity. Awaiting signature.
- our FB Live group keeps growing, from 35 to now over 30,000 views per day or so
- Trying to figure out whether we can build a commercial team to call alpha users
- The longevity strategy umbrella is underway, although we still have work to do to make it an integral part of the prototype. For now it will be behind the scenes.
- Still early days, we don't know yet how much we need to raise. Also, the market has changed. Difficult to tell.
- We have applied to a couple of accelerator programs.
- Our Slack was born these days, and we are now 10 people strong with many different types of people who are helping out at different levels
- Development is the main challenge. We only really have a freelance dev dedicating enough time to it. Without additional resources this will be tough.
- We have designed a big chunk of the product on Sketch
- We have had to also close the Longevity school for now. Big impact to hundreds of employees, and the region, but it was necessary. First thermal spa to close in Spain, before anyone, and giving notice to all other spas in the Spa association that they should do it (they did it, several days later).
- It has become apparent that in order to do this right, we are going to have to push the throttle. This cannot be a bootstrapped project. Our seniors are at home alone. We need to help them faster.
- We are starting to consider whether to fundraise and what a fundraising round should look like.
I am writing this after the event, so I don't really remember everything (Feb and previous months):
- At this point we did not have a single line of code written other than a signup, but the concept was coming together, and Mitesh (Upwork external developer) was starting.
- We battled back and forth with the concept, from what we had originally considered in December, to where we were heading. Some of the most interesting discussions had to do with scalability, marketplace, 1st party content vs 3rd party content, what an infinite group looks like, what a group of 1 looks like, why it matters.
- We have applied to a few subsidies to see if we can get some initial push. We want to mostly bootstrap this.
- First contact with a certain important Valencian scientist in Longevity. Names when we can.
- Coronavirus is very worrying. We have been in an airport on the 20th trying not to touch anything. We have not used masks yet because we don't have. Nobody seemed to use them in the Airport (Geneva) but we were worried. At least no case has been announced in Switzerland yet.
- Team is growing! More about this later.
- Concept keeps growing, but still looks like a proactive voice assitant.
- Juan dedicates a significant amount of time reading about coronavirus on Reddit, seems to be the only person talking about it. 500 new people in China got it today.
- Bought domain!
- We want a voice assistant that helps people age better, using our experience from the Longevity School.
- This is probably going to be a 10 year project, at least. Not a short term startup. We want this for the long term. We have a blue ocean of opportunity of things to do with seniors and leverage our experience.